From:
Lori Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:45:23 -0700
I have a client who is nursing a 1 1/2 month old.  She has been diagnosed
as manic depressive in the past and has started re-taking Haldon
recently...her psychiatrist told her to stop breastfeeding.

She seems to want to continue nursing and has continued while taking the
Haldon.    She came to me seeking advice about wether she should just go
ahead and totally bottle feed.  I suggested she see a family doctor to help
her find something she could take while nursing...also so he can help her
keep an eye on the baby.   But after talking to the family doctor he seemed
to think she'll have to stop nursing to manage the manic.

My questions are this:
Does anyone know of a medication that would be appropiate for a
manic-depressive nursing mother?

Does anyone have experience with Haldon and nursing mothers?

Anything she should be particularily aware of in relation to the baby's
health if she continues nursing and taking this medication?

Thanks so much,
Lori (peer-counselor for MVPRC)