From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:36:44 -0400
I would like information about the use of goat's milk and colostrum for human
infants.  There is a lay midwife in my area and her followers who reject the
commercial formulas when any of their babies need a supplement for any reason
and tout the advantages of goat's milk.  This midwife has goats, and freezes
their colostrum and recently offered it to a mother who is adopting a baby.
 The mother later called me for info about adoptive nursing and asked if she
should consider the offer for goat's colostrum for her baby.

I told her I know very little about goat's milk, but do not see the advantage
of goat's colostrum for her baby.  What is the purpose?  Anitbodies?  The
goat's colostrum would have antibodies to goat diseases and germs the mother
goat was in contact with.  It is designed to protect HER babies, not ours.
 Also in my former life  (60's and 70's) for mothers who did not want to buy
the store formulas, we used to provide a "recipe" for making your own formula
at home using evaporated milk, karo syrup, and water.  (That was the formula
I was given as a baby).  Since some of these people do not listen to me and
feed their babies goat's milk,  does anyone know a reliable source for a
recipe to make goat's milk formula for human babies?  When I ask people if
they are using a recipe, they say no they had never thought of that.  Well if
straight cow's milk isn't good for infants, why should straight goat's milk
be?  It is still a barnyard animal.  I suspect the protein and minerals may
be too high for a human baby's kidney's solute load just as cow's milk is.
 By the way, I did give all the usual information to the mom about adoptive
nursing and included information about milk banks where she could get "human
milk for her baby" although it is heat treated which distroys the antibodies,
advantages would still be wonderful and far superior to ABM. (Triangle Milk
Bank in Raleigh, N.C. is the closest to us)

Information please!!!

Jane Bradshaw LLLL, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Private Practice in Lyncyburg, VA
Still believing in Human Milk for Human Babies