From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:40:33 -0400
Karen,

Our hospital just started doing PKU testing at 24 hours, seemingly regardless
of protein intake.  Amazing how the test becomes accurate as the discharge
time goes down.  Eventually they will discover that they can do it on the
cord blood and it will be accurate.  When I first came to Illinois, (13 yrs
ago), it had to be done at 72 hours and the rule was "9 ounces of protein
intake, minimal.  All babies weighed before & after bf, and if they hadn't
had enough at 72 hours, were given formula to make up the difference.  I
don't know if this was a PHD dictum or one by the hospital.  Then the
discharge went to 48 hours, and within several years (it takes awhile), lo
and behold, the PKU was suddenly accurate at 48 hours.  Now that the
discharge is 24 hours, the PKU test has followed suit.  Perhaps they have
changed HOW they test and it has become more accurate.  I do wish they would
discover how to do it with cord blood so they don't have to poke the babies.
 All babies in our hospital have the PKU done at 24 hours -- even babies in
the NICU on IVs.

Maybe write to the Illinois dept of public health in Springfield to get their
protocol?

Jan B.