From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:57:31 -0600
Hear hear.  From personal experience - I had a child in 1980.  returned to work and had to give formula to eke out what I got with hand-expression - there were no decent pumps!  He was dairy intolerant and major issues with what formula I had to use.  I was a nurse working night shift in L&D.  I used to hand-express with 2 coffee cups, one under each breast and brace against the edge!  THANK GOD for the pump I was able to use in 1987 which was the first attempt at double pumping.  NO formula for that baby even though he was tongue-tied and I went back to work at 5 weeks fulltime!  This is not luxury working - it was necessary to feed the family!  IN the USA, it's not a choice in most cases, it's a requirement to go back to work.  I'm grateful for the improvement in consciousness about breast milk and more businesses "allowing" moms to pump.  There are women who have genetic capacity for oversupply - for them hand-expressing might be adequate, but it wasn't enough for me.  Thanks Marsha for speaking up for those of us who have fewer choices.