From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:43:18 +1000
I've been doing a vegetarian cookery class through the local Seventh Day
Adventist Church. Tonight we were given a pamphlet from Sanitarium called
"The safety of soy foods: A response to issues raised by Sixty Minutes"

Here are a couple of quotes

"Soy-based formulas have been fed to millions of infants over several
decades. Controlled clinical research has shown that infants fed these
formulas grow and develop no differently to infants fed breast milk or
cows-milk formula (AAP, 1998)."

"Summary of key points
1. The Australia New Zealand Food Authority and the American Academy of
Pediatrics have concluded that soy formulas are safe and effective sources
of nutrition for infants.
2 Soy formulas have been fed to millions of babies without any demonstrated
adverse effects on fertility, reproduction or development"

Nowhere does it even give the obligatory "breast is best"  and to say that
the conclusions drawn are inaccurate is being generous. I was just appalled
that a company that is supposed to be about good nutrition would do this.
I'm planning to give them a call. Have any other Australian Lactnetters seen
this? Care to comment?

Karleen Gribble
Australia (On the Central Coast just down the road from Sanitarium
headquarters)