From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:04:41 +0200
> "Then the light went off - these are the SAME people that are going to
> support or undermine her breastfeeding!  "
>
> Extremely good point - well made. Sometimes it is easy to forget that the
> same visitors who can be a 'nuisance' have a whole different role and
> meaning to the nursing mother.
> Kirsten

To reinforce this point, in about 4 out of five of the home visits that I
do, the mother's mother is present.   It is culturally very common in Israel
that the grandmother is there a lot during the post partum period (and
frequently she continues to be the caregiver after the mother returns to
work).  Often I come in to a home visit and can immediately tell that this
grandmother is part of the problem. (things like letting me know there's a
bottle of formula ready if we need it; comments about spoiling the baby by
holding too much, feeding too often, etc...)   So,  I've developed a skill
of taking a  deep breath (while thinking :oy vey), and proceeding to gently
and pleasantly educate the mother and the grandmother.  It almost always
works, to the point that in one visit the grandmother often turns into the
mother's best breastfeeding helper and advocate.

I have yet to write a handout especially for grandmothers.     A real
necessity around here.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel
Back from vacation and catching up on a week of Lactnet.