From:
Melissa Brancho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:29:52 -0400
Nervous about posting this but since I just completed my lesson that included this
topic, I will post my answer to the question asking for recommendations regarding
breastfeeding and Group B Beta hemoltic strep.  The information was found in Riordan
and/or Lawerance, I can't remember which (probably a combination of both) and I can't
remeber how much of this is an exact quote (sorry authors, it has been a heck of a day
and I am pressed for time).  If there are other ways to deal with this, please post your

Group B Beta-hemolytic strep-no restrictions are necessary unless lesions are present.
When lesions are present they should be treated with antibiotics  promptly and infant
should be permitted to begin breastfeeding as soon as appropriate level of medication
has been established.  A clinical judgement should be made in the case of an infected
organ, how bacteria is being extruded from infected source, and the estimated virulence
of the organisim.  Specifically, when infant becomes infected with group B Beta
hemolytic strep, both mother and infant should be treated (usually with penicillin)
which may be used for a period of up to three weeks in some cases.  Milk should be
cultured even if mom has no symptoms.  Weaning is not recommended.
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner