From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:45:25 -0800
 Celiac sprue is definitely a possibility, but it is much rarer in bf
babies.  Our second son fit the profile of this child and the pediatric
allergist thought it was celiac until he tested and found he was allergic
to yeast.  We had been feeding him things that happened to both have gluten
and yeast and therefore assumed the intolerance was to the gluten.  He did
fine with tortillas, cereals with wheat, etc.  It was also how I
"discovered" the symbiotic inflamatory reaction that occurs with allergies.
Baby had an allergy which was causing my breasts to have major inflamatory
reactions.  When we treated for yeast, it "cured it" until his next
encounter with yeast.  To my best knowledge, I have not seen this
documented in the literature, but I bet it happens more often than we know
once kids start solids.  Chris--p.s. I don't know who the original poster
was on this, so please pass it on to them.

 Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC   email: [log in to unmask]
                HSR & Health Educational Consultant