From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 07:27:36 -0600
I stand in awe of all those of you who are organized, especially Kathleen
Auerbach.  I do have some plastic journal holders that fit on the
bookshelves, labelled "LLLI," "WHO," "Ezzo," "Jack Newman," and "Reprints"
(copies of my own stuff).  Other than that I have: the pile on the floor
over by the filing cabinet which is mostly about XXXX, the pile on the floor
next to my computer, which is about YYYY, the pile under the chair by my
desk, which is mostly about ZZZZ, the pile on top of the in basket, which is
mostly outlines of my talks for conferences, the pile on the right side of
my desk which is mostly class notes, and so on and so forth.  I am
remarkably able to find stuff when I need it with little trouble.  The only
times I get into real trouble are when, in a flurry of filing and cleaning
up, I put stuff away in the file cabinets, where some stuff is filed under
topics, and other stuff is filed by author (no system).  Invariably, the
very next week, I need one of those things and I say to myself "OK, it's
been sitting on the lower left corner of my desk for 2 years, and now it's
not there anymore, which means it must have been one of the things I filed.
Now think, if you were going to file it, where would you have put it."
Sometimes I can find it again by recreating the logic, sometimes I can't.

Kathy Dettwyler