From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:36:45 +1000
Hi, Maria,

The link you provided is indeed Part I of my research, published in
Breastfeeding Review in 2009. It is also *not* about wet nursing as the
situation was reciprocal (or could potentially be reciprocal) in many cases.
More appropriate terms would be "co-feeding", "cross-feeding" or
"cross-nursing". Part I is from interviews of women in Australia who
informally shared breastfeeding or breastmilk in the 30-year period,
1978-2008. Part II is international, mostly early-21st century, and the
respondents came from many different cultures or sub-cultures. It has been
accepted for the new online journal, Nursing Reports, with a pdf up. The
formatted version will be posted soon and I shall post the link here then.

The purposes of both studies wasn't to provide recommendations, but to
provide a snapshot of what women were actually doing.

I am currently finalising a study of how hospitals in Australia handled EBM
in the period to 1985, and I can tell you that the respondents in in my
studies of informal sharing were more rigorous than what sometimes happened
on the postnatal wards. However, policy development on milk banking in the
volunteer sector - ye, the volunteer sector - in the 1970s was very
rigorous. See my history of that, e-published ahead of print in Midwifery in
March. (The print version hasn't come out yet.)

I am going off Lactnet at some time today. So - please - send any replies to
me privately.

Concern about health issues and women's milk has changed over time,
depending on the infections of the day. That would make a study in itself!
We must be very careful, in discussing providing safe human milk to babies,
not to go overboard and create the public and professional perception that
human milk is a risky fluid and something to excite suspicion, and that the
stuff from the factory or the farm is utterly (or udderly?) safe and
beneficent. The reason why women seek human milk is precisely because of
their justifiable concerns about animal milk and other artificial mixtures.

Virignia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Private Practice IBCLC & Cultural Historian of the History of Medicine
Brisbane, Queensland

Maria Armstrong wrote;