From:
Alan/Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:10:21 -0500
Colostrum gets its color from beta-carotene.  This is from the "Core
Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice" by Marsha Walker.

Does she drink a lot of carrot juice or eat a lot of yellow vegetables?  I'm
not sure why it got darker in color with freezing.  One thing we need to
remember if moms weren't pumping we probably wouldn't realize the many
variations in color that milk has from woman to woman, or even over the
course of one moms lactation.  The colors of colostrum in the Breastfeeding
Atlas is a sample of pictures not the only colors colostrum or milk may
present.

Donna Goggin-Dolwick BSN, IBCLC
Michigan

"My question to you wise women has to do with a letter I want to write to
the Ministry for Children and Families about the fact that this baby was
deprived of his right to breastmilk.  I want to know what references you
would suggest with regards to breast-milk colour.  I have the
Breastfeeding Atlas which shows some darker-coloured colostrum, but
nothing actually orange."

Thank you for your help,

Eva

--
Eva Bild, MA, CD (DONA), LCCE
Certified Doula, Certified Childbirth Educator, Breastfeeding Educator