From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:50:27 -0400
For the first-time parent, or even those with a long spacing between babies, it is very important to be as graphic as possible when describing how to monitor output in the newborn.  In my breastfeeding class, I dump a quarter cup of water into a diaper and pass it around so that they know what a "wet" diaper feels like.  When discussing stools, I show them a video clip which shows how to count diapers and a couple of poopy diapers close up, from meconium through the yellow.  I tell them that at the end of the day, if they could scoop it all together, there would be a nice big pile of poop in the palm of their hand - they do the typical "how gross!" laugh, but it really gets the point across and they will be unlikely to think that a few stains on the diaper are the same as a few good poops.  I try to use questions phrased in the same graphic way when doing telephone counsels.
Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]