From:
Lara Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:47:56 +0800
On Monday, Apr 14, 2003, at 14:49 Australia/Perth, [log in to unmask]
wrote:

> Some info from a local paper on vit D,suggests 10 minutes of sun a
> day(or
> 15-20 minutes 3 times a week) on the face ,hands & arms/legs.This is
> from
> the chief executive officer Dr Andrew Penman of the Cancer Council &
> Associate Professor Terry Diamond of St George Hospital.
[snip]
> Apparently the "Slip,Slop,Slap" campaign has been working too
> well(some say)
> & a quarter of Australians are vit .D deficient.(Dont know where they
> got
> that from).That deficiency could apparently, be passed from mothers to
> newborns

Hi Anne, do you have a reference for this Penman & Diamond paper?
Medline, MJA, and Google searches aren't finding anything for me. I did
find the Nowson paper [1] from 2002, which claims that 23% of women in
Australia have a "marginal" vitamin D deficiency. The source of this
figure appears to be a 2001 letter to the MJA by McGrath; I believe
that letters are not peer-reviewed.

In one MJA-published case series[2] of children with rickets, 54 of the
55 children were dark-skinned;the fifty-fifth was the child of a
depressed mother with agoraphobia.

Lara

[1] http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177_03_050802/now10763_fm.html
Vitamin D intake and vitamin D status of Australians
Caryl A Nowson and Claire Margerison
MJA 2002 177 (3) : 149-152

[2] http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/175_05_030901/nozza/nozza.html
Vitamin D deficiency in mothers of infants with rickets
Josephine M Nozza and Christine P Rodda
MJA 2001; 175: 253-255