From:
The Youngs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:51:50 -0400
Dear Listmoms-

I would support doing whatever you feel you need to, but I would sadly
caution you that it is extremely unlikely to solve the problem.  As a leader
in the homeschool movement, I am on many lists and have moderated, as well.
In homeschooling, we have a similar problem in that there are those who will
go to extremes to discredit what we do - for the same reason as the formula
crowd - money.  I have found that private lists, private archives, and
strict moderation may deter the casual problem subscriber, but do *not*
eliminate the risk of having quotes spread where they will be taken out of
context.  In the internet venue, it is truly impossible to know for sure who
you are dealing with.  Even if you require credentials, there are those with
credentials who are sympathetic to the other side.  And, strictly
controlling the subscriber lists can keep those who need to learn the most
off the list!

I think the only real answer is just what you warn everyone, to write like
it'll be published in the NY Times.  It's sad we have to be so careful, but
it is so worth it to have the incredible resource that is Lactnet.  I have
learned so much here!!

Now, that's no excuse for the person who forwarded the message to NBC.  That
was unethical and against list rules.  Sometimes it does help to immediately
and publicly unsubscribe those who are found to break list rules to that
extent - I've seen that done to advantage on some lists :-)

I personally hope that Lactnet doesn't change - it is the most fantastic
educational opportunity out there for those interested in lactation.

Melanie Young
LLLL, IBCLC