Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 11:28:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear all:

Much to my surprise, I discovered a marketing infomercial from a pharmaceutical 
company at the place where I do breastfeeding clinics and prenatal classes.  The 
company was started by the former head of childbirth education at Elizabeth Seton and I 
know her well enough to know that she would not have included this in her childbirth 
education package.  Someone else must have left it there.

The last time I heard a presentation on the topic of the specifically recommended 
nutritional supplement was about 3 or 4 years ago.  At that time, a well regarded 
researcher pointed out that there is no deficiency in this nutrient among American women 
despite advertising to take supplements of this particular nutrient.  If anyone has any 
more recent research articles to substantiate (or PEER-REVIEWED INDEPENDENT research 
that negate) the previous findings 

I did attend an excellent presentation on the impact of these type of supplements on the 
infant compared to breast milk and how tenuous the assumptions are for visual acuity 
---- so I feel I have adequate information in this regard.

I would like to do a little education on the importance of checking the source of the 
research and provide some PEER-REVIEWED INDEPENDENT research to counter the 
marketing that has been given out by at least one educator at the center where I work.

Best regards, Susan Burger

I am struggling to figure out how much I can or cannot say under the "rules" and very 
frustrated about the claims made in this video infomercial that are entirely protected by 
freedom of speech.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2