Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:43:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Jan writes: "Where is the documentation that breastfeeding is tiring?" "If I hear  that one more time, 
I'll.....I'll.....I'll.... -- geeze, I don't know what I'll  do, but it really 
frosts my gizzard."

And I couldn't agree more. I just had a little 35 weeker that couldn't keep his temp up, (of course, the babies BG was 64 and he had nursed 3 hours before the blood glucose was even drawn. also the poor boo had a Huge hematoma on his right temporal area which no one has any idea why but it is quite significant, makes him look like one end of a football) What did they tell mom... that the baby needed to be supplemented by bottle for tonight because otherwise he was going to get sick, and he just couldn't do this at the breast because he just isn't doing that well (meaning the temp)and they don't want to have to start an IV, because it would be better to give the baby a bottle nipple than a needle. They told the mom the baby was just not strong enough yet to nurse, and he would need to get some "gas in his tank" first. Nursing is just too much work for his little weak system right now. I stood there listening to the doctor say all of this and then told mom that I was sure no one would mind if she was the one to supplement her baby and that maybe the doctor would feel comfortable with the baby getting supplemented at the breast, to which the answer was not tonight about the breast part but yes mom could bottle feed her own baby. (so generous) So then I said, well I know that they would want to use breastmilk instead of formula so lets get started getting something for the next feeding.  Meanwhile the poor boo spit up all over the place, lots of colostrum from earlier feeding (yes 3 hours. Does this child really need to eat ANYTHING??? NO, of course not, he is obviously getting sick, probably from that head trauma, but if I push my points, and the mother's as well by the way, then as this little guy shows whatever is really at work here, they would blame it on the breastfeeding. On the other hand, in a perfect world, if the mom could continues to nurse him and he turns things around, then all would be golden wouldn't it. 

I am all by myself here, the only LC, and breastfeeding supportive person, amoungst the bottle focused NICU staff. 

... heavy sigh

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2