From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:11:35 -0500
My understanding is that the average American does not get enough omega-3
fatty acids (DHA) in his/her diet.  This is an issue for girls, boys, men
and women (whether they are pregnant or lactating).

The best sources, providing the greatest bioavailability, are foods (like
salmon, flaxseeds, walnuts, and soybeans).  See www.whfoods.com.

Expecta is made from a "non-fish source:" seaweed.  Yes, it provides DHA,
but in a rather inefficient form.  What is getting enriched are the coffers
of the formula-manufacturing-pharmaceutical companies, who heavily market
Expecta.

I'd think it smarter to encourage women (men, and children) to eat a serving
or two of salmon a week, or a few tablespoons of cod liver oil or flax
seeds.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA