From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:59:13 -0500
Judy,

As a licensed social worker, as well as a breastfeeding cnslr, I have had
a lot of dealings with psychotropic medication/therapy, etc.  I agree
with you, that this mom would feel a lot better if she was able to get
the baby to the breast.  I think a lot of calming hormones and chemicals
would help her feel better.  Also, the ability to nourish her baby would
probably make her feel a little more "normal."  As far as buspar goes,
I'm not sure as to the compatibility with breastfeeding.  However, there
are other psychotropics that might work just as well.  Is she being
treated for an anxiety problem or a depression problem?  Buspar covers
both.  Not always the best idea.  I've found that some docs prefer to
stick to one psychotropic rx because they are used to it.  Anti-anxiety
drugs can have a sedating effect on the baby.  It sounds like this doctor
is open to suggestions and willing to work with you.  How lucky!

Mom might also benefit from a support group; LLL, PPD group, parenting
group, etc.  Sometimes the best medicine for a mom who has been this ill,
is just having a "normal" routine; taking care of baby while someone
takes care of her.  Lots of luck.

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]