Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:55:10 EST
Barbara-

If there is not a moxibustion practioner in Fenton, Mo., you might want to
give your friend some other suggestions.  I have used the homeopathic remedy
Pulsatilla x200c one dose now, one dose in 24 hours to turn breeches (and
presistent posteriors).  I learned it from two homeopathic midwives.  I have
seen it work.  Don't know why.  It may be easier to find Pulsatilla retail
than someone in your area who knows how to do moxibustion.

Also, the breech excercises Mary described (lie on back, put hips up 15-18
inches and support by many pillows) is one that I have suggested for years.
Do it 15-20 min. in the a.m. and same in the evening.  Use efflurage (lightly
circling the belly with hands) in the direction you want the babe to turn.  I
just had a client last week who turned her baby this way.  She was so pleased
with herself.

Also, there is the option of external version (although she is pretty close to
her due date for that) by an experienced physician in a hospital (with
monitor, iv meds to relax the uterus), or by an experienced midwife at home.
Her choice depending on her values and beliefs.

She also has the option of asking her OB to transfer her to someone at a
teriarty care center nearest you for "trial of labor" and vaginal breech (or
she can "transfer"herself, of course).  That means she goes into labor on her
own and if her labor progresses on the "normal labor curve", no intervention
is done. This is becoming more common as hospitals are getting pressure to
decrease their c/section rates.  In one of my former practices, I worked in a
small  community hospital where the docs wouldn't do vaginal breeches due to
fear of litigation (community standards, etc.).  I transferred a young woman
(primagravida) to the head of the OB dept. at the nearby university center (I
called him and asked if he would do a vaginal breech delivery) and she had a
beautiful vaginal birth instead of a scheduled c/section.

One thing you mentioned in your post especially caught my attention.  You said
"mom wants a perfect birth".  Some counselling here about birth expectations
may be the best thing for her and her baby right now.  That's a pretty tall
order and one that, in my experience, can set a woman up for deep feelings of
failure, post partum depression, and here's the connecting piece
.....breastfeeding problems.

Priscilla Tait, MS, CNM, IBCLC
in western michigan