Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:38:41 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
You are absolutely right - so many new pumps on the market that have not had any real testing other than focus group marketing.  I had a mom come in the other day who was using an "insurance" pump that appeared to be a Medela kit.  She was complaining about low supply.  The kit was a knock-off of Medela.  I tested the pump and it only put out 50 mmhg of suction at maximum pressure!  Which is the bare minimum to cause a letdown.  No wonder her milk was nearly gone!  Of course we got baby back to breast, but it made me heart sick to think that this is what our ACA has allowed.

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Esther Gillett

Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:15 PM

Subject: breast pump comparison

Does anyone have any information they could send me that compares breast pumps?  Years ago I had a chart comparing pumps.  Of course there are so may new pumps on the market I just can't keep up. The problem is that moms are getting  pumps  that I really don't know much about or ones that I know of that are of poor quality.  Some DMEs are opting for the cheapest pump and as a result moms are receiving ineffective pumps.  I know that FDA has a form that moms can complete to report a defective pump. I work with a WIC population and we hear about moms that receive pumps that do not work well.  I think the majority of the our moms do not complain back to the DME or manufacturer.  We should be encouraging them to do so.  We can certainly step in and help them with a loaner pump if this happens to them.  The point is that they should be entitled to a good quality pump through their insurance so they can continue to provide breast milk for their babies.Too bad that some DMEs are looking for the cheapest pump to provide while not taking into account what is best for the mom. Any information I could share with a DME would be much appreciated.

Esther Gillett RD, MS, IBCLC, ALC

[log in to unmask]

Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2