Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2015 13:56:16 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The problem with some of the hospital cleaners is that they break down the plastic surfaces.  Cavicide is the recommended cleaner for isolettes and pumps.  Virex and alcohol wipes damage and cause pits which can retain bacteria and also will discolor the plastics.   Manufacturer's recommendations should always be used.  WE use q-tips and brushes to clean ours and cover with a plastic bag when cleaned.

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laurie Wheeler

Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 8:10 AM

Subject: pump cleaning

Of course NICU cleaning practices, and well baby cleaning practices are different.

With mothers who are pumping for well babies (or maybe where a term baby may very have short term O2 therapy), I would provide a small plastic basin, baby bath soap, and clean towels and washcloths. The key is to rinse immediately, wash thoroughly, rinse and let dry on a clean surface.

In the NICU as you mention, I would have a concern about the sharing of so few pumps. Unfortunately I have seen many times where environmental services staff have put a pump back in service that was obviously not clean. A quick wipe down is not sufficient, but a good scrubbing of dried milk on the pump, and even cleaning of the electrical cord is required.

Then the wipe down with the hospital approved cleaner and the waiting period which can be 3 to 5 minutes for the disinfection to occur.

Someone has to take ownership of this cleaning process. If it is to be the environmental services staff, I suggest the NICU manager and the Environmental manager do a together staff education with the staff.

Discuss and demonstrate the proper cleaning, and the life and death consequences of not doing so properly. A slide show with a septic baby and/or NEC could make a big impression.

I really don't know how much education environmental staff get. For example, I saw one such staff cleaning with a cloth and then set the dirty cloth on the handrail where patients ambulate and hold the rails.  I pointed out to him that this would spread germs to all who had touched the handrail.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC

Gulf Coast Mississippi USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2