From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:16:28 EST
In a message dated 12/10/98 12:20:41 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I am due with my first child
 in April and want to be heavily armed with info on
 Medications should I be "advised" to wean, or pump
 and dump if given a prescription for "ANYTHING"!!! >>

You know, it is very easy to criticize health care providers who advise a
breastfeeding mom to "pump & dump" when they prescribe a medication for her;
however, I believe that many times their motives are honestly altruistic in
that they don't want to do anything to harm the infant.  In a twisted sort of
way, I empathize with and even condone their recommendations, although it
might be due to ignorance, because they are supporting something dear to my
heart - "first do no harm."  On the other hand, I am just as critical of those
health care providers who simply discard any thought or concern about
medications/herbs that the mother may consume and scoff at the idea of any
harm or threat to the infant.  Such a cavalier attitude is equally disdainful
and possibly dangerous.  As you well know, most medicines/herbs have not been
carefully studied to see what, if any, effect they may have in a nursing
mother and her infant.  Afterall, who is going to volunteer their baby as a
guinea pig, eh?  Infants are not little adults!  Just because a medicine/herb
is "safe" in a 21 year old female does not mean we can automatically conclude
that it "must" be safe in a 21 day old regardless of the amount in the breast
milk.  One must tread cautiously here!  I criticize the "lazy" doctor who will
not make the effort nor take the time to find out if a prescription medicine
is "acceptable" for a breastfeeding mom or prescribe an alternative "safe"
medicine and simply tells the mom to quit breastfeeding/wean/dump.  But, I
will also criticize the zealous provider who whimsically dismisses any cause
for concern based on incorrect and/or incomplete knowledge about a
medicine/herb.  Both are wrong!  We must make thoughtful and knowledgeable
decisions/recommendations based on accurate scientific information.
IMHO
Andrew MD FAAP