From:
Keith Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:32:54 +0800
Paula Ray wrote:
>I have had a couple of unusual statements from staff who have been to some
>assorted BF presentations - what do you guys think ?
>
>1. Sore nipples are caused by the acid in babies saliva and the mother should
>wash the breast off after feeds to remove it......
>
>2. Women should not apply breastmilk to their nipples after feeds because it
>can cause the nipple to become crusty and irritated...
>
>These "ideas" caught me off guard because they are opposite of what I have
>always taught and/or beleived....

With regard to saliva irritating nipples, I have heard that this is
possible when baby is teething. When a mum phones and says her nipples are
sore and it is months down the track (ie not likely to be attachment), and
thrush is ruled out, the above suggestion is often made.

The second one is a newy on me - NMAA recommends applying breastmilk to
nipples - some believe it doesn't do much, but I have never heard that
anyone thinks it's detrimental. It is *very* unlikely breastmilk could
irritate.

With regard to Jay's post about thrush, I definitely believe that a baby
with thrush in his mouth is suffering. I have also seen babies not feed
well by either method when they have thrush. There was some discussion
about this some time ago on Lactnet, and some Lactnetters confirmed that
oral thrush they had had was painful. The best thing to do for them is
treat their mouths with antifungal medication. I wonder if cup feeding
would be less painful for these babies, while waiting for the medication to
work.

Joy Anderson IBCLC
Perth, Western Australia

P.S. With regard to the discussion on thumb sucking, my daughter sucked her
thumb for 7 years, but I don't think she had her needs unmet either
(breastfed over 2 years). It just goes to show how general statements and
assumptions can never account for everyone - we, and our babies, are all
individuals. As Breastfeeding Counsellors and LCs we probably know that
better than most.