From:
Apple Education <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:15:41 +1200
Following on from rachel's post about her measuring cup  in the kitchen, I
thought I would share something amusing I experienced yesterday.

In my lactation clinic, I had a mother and her 3 week old baby come in who
are experiencing some breastfeeding difficulties in the form of a low milk
supply and slow weight gain.  The mum is doing everything right ( she came
to clinic 2 weeks ago) but the baby will need supplementation until
motillium kicks in.  This is a young mum who was bottle fed herself and her
very supportive parents are anxious to get this baby on a bottle as that is
what they know and they do not understand how important breastfeeding is to
their daughter. I applaud this young mum for being so dedicated to her baby
and learning so much while she was pregnant.  It is also indicative of what
a good job her independent midwife did.

This mum knew her battle would be lost the minute her parents spied the
formula tin and bottle to give the baby supplemental feedings.  So we both
did a giggle and decided she would buy a lidded measuring cup instead (to
mix and store the formula), small sachets to last 3 days only and a plastic
teaspoon to give the supplement. Such simple things, but such a powerful
statement from this mum - yes I will do this while it is necessary, but
don't bring in the big guns cause I ain't going to use them!

And yes I will recommend a SNS next visit if necessary, but they are
expensive and I need to keep this simple for now.

Being a mother of 2 teenage daughters myself I came away very amused!

Karen Palmer
LC and Midwife
NZ