From:
Joyce Blangiardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 14:12:35 -0400
Lucy wrote...
...Still, three pounds is an extreme amount to not notice!.....

and Lucy, IMNSHO anyone who saw the baby would immediately have known
something was critically wrong.  It could NOT have gone unnoticed.  These
EXTREMELY upsetting pictures were all over the local NY news shows here.
They played again and again all day long.  I had difficulty wrapping my
brain around what these pictures revealed.  The phrase skin and bones does
not begin to describe what the photo's showed.

My question for all of you is this....Please tell me, am I correct in
thinking the pictures were shown only here in NYC?  How about NYS?  Other
states?

Every one of the Lamaze classes I've taught since the trial has needed time
to process what they viewed.   Their consensus, after watching the pictures
on TV was that anyone seeing the baby toward the end would have known
something was very wrong.  So, I too agree with Kathy that we don't know all
of the facts of the case....   Yes, it's given us another opportunity to
educate the community about breastfeeding.  But this situation is, IMO,
about FAR more issues than breastfeeding.

Sadly wondering what went wrong in the village that was raising this child,
Joyce Blangiardo RN, LCCE, FACCE, IBCLC