From:
Carla parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2017 10:52:18 -0400
Hello!
I am an RN IBCLC at a central Florida hospital. I've been a nurse for 26 years and obtained my IBCLC certification in 1996. I have worked in my current role as inpatient LC for almost 19 years. I had a private practice for 10. I also was a LLL leader for 5. During my time as a LLL leader I moderated an online Facebook group for our LLL group but it was also open to non members. It took about a year before I just couldn't moderate the group anymore, members were nasty to other mothers, people spoke poorly and inaccurately about the hospital where I was employed and it was just sucking the joy right out of me.
I vowed to stay off all social media sites regarding breastfeeding support.
Recently a former patient, a co-worker, and a local midwife (3 different people) sent me screen shots of a local social media closed group calling the LCs at my hospital negligent. They didn't use our names but if you live in this county you know who we are! After discussion with some other community members, employers, and one of the offenders themselves the group was archived. Now it has experienced a rebirth, without the members who stuck up for us, and it's happening again. They are using names and saying that we do not know how to adequately assess a baby's oral anatomy. The first go round was similar except they stated we were negligent because we did not diagnose and refer out for treatment babies with tongue and lip ties. One RN CLC stated she saw 10-12 patients a week from us that had not been diagnosed. I'm not an  ARNP, by the way.

After all that I'm reaching out to all of you. I am a life long learner, just finishing my BSN in 2015. I am firm that no matter how long I've worked in any field there is always something to learn. None of the above was done in the spirit of learning, it was mean spirited and nasty. How/what should I do? This is not how community breast feeding supporters should behave. It breaks my heart that others in this community I have lived and worked in for 30 years are acting like this. Do I ignore it? Do I try to talk to these women? One is very passionate about many things and truely seems impossible to talk to unless
you agree with her values. I am actively searching out more education on lip and tongue ties (like I said , there is always something to learn).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have ever experienced the same thing.
Thanks for your time!
Carla Parry
Central Florida USA