From:
Shannon Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:48:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/2003 9:03:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> From the moment I received that phone call about the ultrasound, I just
> knew she would end up with a C-section. One time when I wish I had been proved
> wrong :(  What chance does a first-time mother have when the medics tell her
> her baby is in danger? However well-read she may be - and Eliz had really done
> her homework - she feels vulnerable and scared. My son, who had grown up in
> a very pro-breastfeeding and natural-birthing aware household, also had bad
> feelings about the outcome, but like the rest of us he had to defer to Eliz's
> gut reactions. After the C-section, in the recovery room, he hugged me and
> cried for the birth that might have been. We kept reassuring both of them that
> if the outcome was a healthy mother and baby, then it was a successful birth.
> I am sure that she will spend some time working through the feelings
> engendered by her birthing experience, maybe starting by talking with other mothers
> at her LLL Group.

I'm so sorry that this happened to her. Can you please suggest ICAN to her
when she feels like she is ready to begin healing?
<A HREF="www.ican-online.org">www.ican-online.org</A>   We also have support email groups, and they are listed
as "newsgroups" in the menu.  We have many moms who are healing, who are
learning, who are recent sections and those of us who are VBAC's. We are a loving,
supportive environment.
Shanon Mitchell
Information Services Director
International Cesarean Awareness Network