From:
Gail Duilio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:29:42 -0400
We are just looking for a little input or ideas that you more experienced
teachers might offer us.  We are public health nurses, both IBCLC and recently
asked to teach a class for Campfire.  They provide parenting classes and birth
classes and this is the first time they are offering a breastfeeding class.  We
expect it to be a small class, likely teen or young adult and it is open to both
prenatal or new moms.  Our outline is as follows:
1. You Have What it Takes ( You are special-you are the only one who can
breastfeed your baby, Breastmilk good for mom, good for baby, and good for
the earth, you can be good at breastfeeding-- short video of latching)
2.  Mom Made Wonder Food ( How milk is made, What makes mom's milk so
good, and the risks of bottle feeding.
3.  I Didn't Expect This (Common problems and how to fix them, Breastfeeding
myths, Breastfeeding 911-who to call for help)
4. This might be a Supid Question . . but (our idea is to have them write out
questions on post its during a dinner break and put them on a board to go
over after the break.

Being an aging baby boomer (ouch - but I just had a birthday) I think one of
my worries is connecting with teens in a group. So a couple of questions in
particular.  Has anyone used the idea of having a basket full of items relating
to benefits of breastfeeding that Kellymom has on her site. What was the
response? and would you do it again? And after reading "the case against
breastfeeding"  I am not sure which benefits I can definitively claim
breastfeeding can be linked .
Has any one used visual imagery of sucessfully breastfeeding your baby with a
mostly teen group?  What was their response? and what did you you for
a "script"  Did you use any dolls to practice?  Anyone try the "kiss the
balloon " to demonstrate latch?
Well thanks for any critique, input or suggestions.
Gail Duilio CHN IBCLC Oregon