From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:24:21 EDT
Pam writes:

"Quitting is  not happening.  This is a mom who  breastfeeds in years not
months  and she is determined to keep working until her  baby does  breastfeed."

Hello all,
    Getting ready for Monday, recertifying after 10  years in a profession I
am sometimes not sure I can last another day in let  alone another 10
years...:)  Statements like this keep me, keep us  going, simply a mom who "gets" the
normality and worth of normal feeding,  breastfeeding in all its complexities
and challenges and posts full of questions  and comments that show how
dedicated this group is to just helping babies get to  normal, a sophisticated,
myriad-gifting, challenging, normal in a society that  for too long has viewed this
normal as something
special/overthetop/unnecessary/niceifyoucan/fillinmoreblanks...We  work in  hospitals, clinics, homes, community centers, WIC offices,
 within our own  families and friends, and it's an uphill battle to normal
when  substandard and artificial and medical AS the norm, has been tolerated
for so long. There are places where artificial and medical are critical and
others where they are intrusive and start cascades of issues. Who better than us
to try to see where those lines are, and where they might be with our help?
Keep  up the good work, everyone, while I bury my head in books again, and try
to  survive til October in the only profession that puts its members through
this  horror of recertifying  by exam...

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC*, LLLL       * for  now!?
Brooklyn, NY, USA