From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:45:07 -0500
I see pregnant women all the time for my job and by the time they are
ready for their second prenatal visit, they are already receiving
samples of baby items. They are seen as new consumers.  Many of the
things sent for infants are not even good for infants, powder in the air
can be aspirated into the lungs, baby oils and cleansers and wipes and
scented diapers contain things that many babies are allergic too.
I go to visit pregnant women and their homes are already starting to
fill up with expensive and unneccessary baby items, containers of all
sorts.  I tell moms that they need a car safety seat and a few items of
clothing and everything else is to make some company rich.  They think I
am nuts.  I am always being asked about which expensive item would be
best for their baby, savings bonds are my most frequent suggestions for
gifts for children under five.  Even the poorest of my families have
more toys than one child can pick up or play with.
Live simply so that others may simply live is a great motto, wish I were
doing better at it myself.
Pat Thomas PHN<------Consuming more stuff than is reasonable too.
Winona County Community Health Department
Winona, Minnesota