From:
Wheeler family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2015 09:21:06 +1200
Hi all from chilly New Zealand,
I am a LC in Palmerston North (first time posting!), helping a mum today with severely inverted nipples. She has done lots of reading and tried all the usual techniques (pump, manual stimulation) but nothing brings the nipples out.
She had an incredibly stressful caesarian birth (under GA), then another GA the next day to control bleeding. All this delayed feeding, as well as baby (8lb 1oz) having a heap of formula. Now she is pumping, baby (5 weeks) is having EBM and formula via bottle. Baby will not latch at all to the breast. We have tried laid back, rugby, leaning over, sandwiching the breast. He licks the milk off the nipple, but will not latch –in fact has only had one feed off the breast since birth. After 20-30 seconds of being near the breast he starts fussing. He has been to the osteopath a few times, and although some correction was needed, it didn't improve the feeding.
  I assist the local GP with tongue and lip tie (we do the majority of TT and LT in the lower North Island) so am very able to diagnose, but none present. Baby is healthy, developing and gaining weight well.
Any ideas? Mum and Dad are really wanting to breastfeed. I realise that babies breastfeed, not nipples feed, so technically baby should latch, but I guess this baby hasn’t read that!!
Mum wants to know about surgery, though my understanding is that could damage the tissue making future breastfeeding even more difficult.
Really looking forward to having some ideas.
Thanks, Jackie Wheeler  IBCLC, LLL leader

---