Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:38:31 -0400
Got this today from another list.  These are people who are not into
breastfeeding and it's encouraging to see this sort of thing happening.  David

Dear colleagues,

Regarding drug donations to Kosovo: Please do not send any haphazard
collection of drugs - I was in Albania in 1991 and 1992 and it was a total
disaster - 95% waste. It would be very useful if NGO's would take the range
of drugs normally used in Albania, Macedonia and Serbia into account;

[Note from moderator: I do hope our subscribers would know what to do, but
you never know... Read in Scrip 14 April that the Italian government has
donated drugs and that pharmacist associations in Bari region in Italy is
collecting drugs (wonder whether it is drugs returned to the pharmacy....)
and the industry association is also collecting and sending (let's hope it
is useful drugs and not non-essential, near-expiry/expired products!).
Novartis has even donated infant formulas. Our main newspaper today quoted
WHO as warning against sending infant formulas which are non-essential
except for probably less than 1% of the babies and already piling up.
Supplies are shipped directly by manufacturers which also use this
opportunity to profile their 'gift', bypassing any coordination that WHO is
trying to organise. But, ignorance also on the receiving side: the
Macedonian government has infant formulas as their priority no. 1 when
requesting assistance! And even NATO!