From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 00:11:43 -0600
Well we don't know the baby's birthweight and early history. But if I take 7
pounds as an initial birhtweight, then baby should gain, say, around 2 lbs
per month, so in 3 months might have gained 6 more pounds and be around 13
pounds. He is slightly under 11 pounds. Obviously this is alot of
assumptions and conjecture, but yes he seems underweight. But maybe he was 5
lbs at birht? Was he premie? In any case, it appears at 2 pre/post weights,
he consumed 2-3 oz each time, if I am reading your weights right. That seems
reasonable, although I know some folks say that a 3 month old should be
taking in way more milk than that. I think those amounts might be OK if baby
is feeding frequently, which it doesn't say, but if mom was trying to
schedule him and actually deny him feeds, that can certainly contribute to
poor wt gain. I agree, it seems mom has good supply and can even pump off
several ounces, several times per day. But I would not say she has an
overabundant *supply* but it does sound like there could be some forceful
*milk ejection* issues.
What I would be leaning towards investigating (with the primary providers)
would be reasons why baby would be self limiting his feeds. Perhaps a
swallowing study or reflux study, or could the baby have an intestinal
anomaly or torticollis? Even a hernia?? Has he been really looked over very
carefully.
The other thing I would be worried about, is a baby that young who was being
put on a schedule and denied his needs being met (even though
well-intentioned and now thrown this program thrown aside by mom ). This
could in my opinion lead to a trust and bonding issue between mom and baby
that needs repair. And I would then suggest a re-birthing sort of scenario,
skin to skin lots and lots, totally responsive parenting and feeding, and
hope her supply and ejection would regulate again to her baby. In the
meantime, checking out the other physical things I mentioned.
These would be my first thoughts.
Laurie Wheeler MN RN IBCLC
Mississippi USA