From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 02:59:47 -0500
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:18:43 -0800 Janet Hoover Malo <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> >The nipple shield is an "easy answer" just as formula is. I'm not
> saying it
> >should never be used, but starting it in hospital?????????????
>

> As a hospital LC I have a question about this. I feel that if I let
> a baby
> go home that is not latching this baby has a high chance of being
> switched
> to formula. I would rather send the mom home with a shield, a pump
> and
> informed consent about the shield than take a chance of the losing
> breastfeeding all together. I agree that this is not ideal but in a
> hospital where we are not allowed to show the family finger or cup
> feeding
> it does seem the lesser of two evils.
>
> Janet Hoover Malo, LM, IBCLC
> Santa Cruz, CA
>

> mailto:[log in to unmask]

> LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's
> LSMTP(TM)
> mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go
> to:
Just my .02 worth.  I agree that in this day and age where babies are
going home in 48 hours of less we are feeling a pressure to get this baby
feeding before going home.  Babies are the best pump.  A baby at the
breast with a shield and properly lated will actually transfer more milk
than a mother pumping and finger feeding or cup feeding.  I know there is
a tremendous amount of controvery about this.  Sometimes it is the only
answer to saving the breastfeeding.  Then we can work with mothers to
eleminate the shield.  I know not all of you agree with this, but I do
feel this is a forum that we can express our opinions and experience with
different cases.  If everyone can be comfortable with the tools available
and work with the mother to make breastfeeding a good experience for her
and her baby, then what is the problem.  You do need to follow the wt,
make sure mom knows how to contact you with questions, but let'd not
sacrafice the baby at the breast.  Please, a shield can save a
breastfeeding mother often times.
Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank & Breastfeeding Center, Worcester, MA (USA)
Treasurer, Human Milk Bank Association of North America (HMBANA)