Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:11:48 EDT
Saw Mom and baby for 2nd time,(1st time at 3wks). Baby was born at 7-1 and
8-7 at 4weeks. Mom with good supply. Has large nipples. First visit I helped
with baby to latch deeper and showed Mom bst compression. Baby did well
during visit. Today, baby is still uncomfortable at breast, still unable to
sustain deep latch pass the nipple. Mom has never given ABM and has tried a
bottle only a few times. I watched baby bottlefeed. She did receive a faster
flow, but did not look comfortable bottlefeeding either. Ped had prescribed
Zantac at 4wks, but Mom states it has not helped.  I have ruled out low
supply, thrush, or any oral anatomy problems. Baby sleeps well after the
feedings, but is not enjoying the feeding. At the end of the nursing, she is
somewhat content at the breast and makes good eye contact with Mom.
Mom would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Pat G  IBCLC in Al