From:
Susan Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 21:54:53 -0800

> I  always wonder about the breastmilk storage controversies/guidelines when
I'm in the grocery store buying cow's milk, which usually has a "sell by"
date 12 days or more from the purchase date (which I'm sure means at least a
couple of weeks from when it left the cow udder).
How can pasteurized pooled bovine milk be safe or tasty longer than
immunologically active breastmilk?
And what is the thing we are worried about? (taste? specific pathogens that
in stored breastmilk that have been documented to cause identified illnesses
in infants who were given "old" breastmilk?)
If it's matter of deterioration of the immune factors, is that a reason to
have mothers throw it out, given that the other infant food (formula) has
none to begin with?
How did the dairy industry come up with their "storage guidelines"?

Susan Lawrence, LLLL, RN, IBCLC