Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:20:11 EST
Barbara wistfully notes,
<< If we could get two hours inserted into nursing/medical  school curricula:
1
 hr on mechanics of good latch, and 1 hr on the diff. between nutritive and
 non-nutritive sucking (with some advice about abandoning time tables so long
 as intake/output are adequate) we could have fewer of the normal dyads
 fouled up.  There are still going to be babies and moms in the 'not normal'
 categories who will need special intervention.  These will require more
 skilled support. >>

Ah Barbara -- dreamer!!  It would be WONDERFUL to have this.  When my
daughter's BSN program in nursing school included 10 weeks in Maternity and
10 weeks in Pediatrics, I was given the luxury of teaching for a whole 2
hours on breastfeeding.  The ONLY breastfeeding info they got -- and that had
to cover everything they were going to learn.  (Other than their instructor
telling them that breastfeeding was just as expensive as formula feeding
because of all the special foods a bf mom needed, not to mention the bras,
the pumps -- you get the picture).  When they dropped the program to be 5
weeks in OB and 5 weeks in Peds, I was summarily dismissed.  Hopefully not
all BSN programs are like that, but there is one in the Chicago area that
is....2 hours on latch?  1 hour on determining nutritive sucking?  I don't
think so.

Sigh.

Jan B.