From:
Anne Hinze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 14:49:45 -0400
Hi there. This is actually my first post, I've been reading for weeks...

I'm on my way checking off the boxes in order to take the IBCLC exam either
in 2008 or 2009. I'm currently "training" under a recertified IBCLC at a local
military hospital. She is out of the country right now so I'm looking for advice
on this case.

The lady happens to be a personal friend...and she's given me permission to
post her issue...

Her daughter is 8 months old, eating solids well and she occasionally
supplements with ABM. She is in the Arlington, VA area and I am in the
Panhandle of Florida, she recently PCS'd with her husband...

A few weeks ago her back "went out" and she was taken by ambulance to a
civilian hospital that did not have MRI facilities. She was sent home with
scripts for oxycodone and flexeril. The ER doc told her she had to stop
breastfeeding until 24 hours after she took the last pain pill... She tried to call
me that weekend, but since we're friends she asked how my children are (2
years and 4 months) and we never got to her problem because I had to get
off the phone to tend to one of them! I called her back that next week and
she told me what happened and I looked them both up in Hale's book (MMM).
At this point she had stopped nursing for almost a week and her supply was
terribly low. A week of fenugreek and a lactina rental and she was back in
business. I consulted the IBCLC I work with about the medications and her
consensus was the same as mine - that they were acceptable for in lactation,
although the flexeril wasn't as desirable.

I explained this to the mom and she seemed to understand. I just talked to
her this afternoon and she is in bed because her back is out again. She is 28
years old, so very young to be having such problems. She has been referred
for an MRI by several providers, but tricare has yet to approve the request...

She is currently taking 3-10mg flexeril a day right now and has not nursed her
daughter since she took the first one on monday evening. She said her supply
is already declined significantly and the little girl is very sad for one on one
time with mom... She misunderstood and thought she couldn't take the flexeril
while bfing...

So my question, at 8 months of age, would that much flexeril be bad for baby?
Mom is very committed to nursing for at least 12 months and confused about
what she should do.

I asked her permission to post her situation on here and she's thankful for any
suggestions you can pass on through me. Also if there are any Arlington-area
IBCLC's I could recommend to her you can email me privately.

Thanks!

Anne Hinze