Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 08:53:42 +0100
>I would like to have
>more babies in our recovery room, but many of the charge nurses are reluctant
>to allow babies in.

We don't have recovery rooms in the UK - I take it these are rooms the new
mother goes to after birth, and before going to the postnatal ward?

In the most mother-friendly places here, mothers labour and give birth and
recover in the same room, normally a single room. They then go with their
babies to the ward.

However, in the past it was common for mothers to undergo first stage in
one place, and then be moved to a delivery room at the start of second
stage - and this was very uncomfortable to be moved from one bed to a
trolley and then to another bed, all when you are dying to push. Now, this
is unknown.

It looks to me as if the recovery room has a major side-effect of allowing
mothers to be 'processed' through the system...depersonalising them, and
making it easier for staff to run the system according to the needs of the
institution (taking the babies away).

I can see it appears kinder to mothers who have lost their babies not to
see another mother with hers - but surely bereaved mothers should be able
to be alone in a room with their partners anyway, and not with other
mothers?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK