From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 14:13:52 -0700
Yet another area of the body that cabbage leaves have been worth their weight...  This last weekend I danced along a grueling parade route of 20 blocks, over about two hours of time, then walked all day.  I have worn the same shoes for parades and performances on and off for eight years, without problems.  Now they were suddenly to short -- I hadn't cut the great toe nails short enought.  My great toes were swollen, beneath the nails the toes were black and blue, and the nailbeds were flagrantly red, inflamed and tender.
The pain was excruciating, I could not tolerate even the weight of a sheet.  It took two days to think of wrapping cabbage leaves, and voila!!

The pain is gone enough that I can bear the weight of a touch.  I can walk without discomfort.  And tonight I'm doing a performance (minus shoes -- fortunately, it's indoors).

Yeah, cabbage leaves!!
Chanita, San Francisco, BS, RN, CLC and IBCLC hopeful, brasilophile and sambista (as well as wife, mother, and concerned citizen)