From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:52:34 +0000
What if the point about the mom being a vegan was left out and we only had the rest of the info to look at? While I might think of food sensitivities, I'd also be thinking "overactive" MER and flow control issues, foremilk overload, etc. How does baby BF when mom and baby lie down in a side-lying position? Do some feedings go better than others? If yes, what is "different" about those BF -- position, time of day, baby's sleep state, etc.?

I'm familiar with the extremes of B-12 deficiency but not early signs. I don't suppose early sign of deficiency could be a consideration?

Karen

Re: <<... working with the mother of a two-month-old girl who began refusing the breast about two weeks ago.  She cries inconsolably and kicks
out her feet and holds them out for a while, then pulls them back, relaxes
for a moment, and starts all over again.  The mother is a vegan who eats
no dairy, no fish, no eggs, lots of grains, peanut butter, garbanzo beans,
and veggies.  The dad’s a chef who will fix anything for her, but he’s
running out of food choices.  The mom started the gluten-free diet three
days ago with even worse responses from the baby.  I told her that
sometimes things get worse before they get better, but the mom is at her
wits end.  She pumps for supply, offers breast, but of course baby only
takes it once or twice a day for a moment or two and then goes into a fit
and mom resorts to a bottle.  There has been no formula supplementation.
Baby had been having green, slimy stools, but today, they looked normal.
Until two weeks ago, baby had been feeding very well at the breast and
gaining well. >>