Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:25:00 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
This reminds me of Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" where he tried to get Americans to start thinking about the school food choices.  He tried to work with the politicians.  He ended up going around them and talked directly to the media.  This is what I would suggest.  Call press conferences, get on radio talk shows, etc.  Let the people know the corruption which exists.

You are probably just exhausting yourself by trying to have a conversation with the elected officials.  They don't care.

Melissa Senf, IBCLC, RN

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Denise Hibben
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Had a thought on the Nestle Problem

So I have been mulling over the Newark/Nestle problem lately. This is something that bugs the heck out of me to no end. I had an idea. What if IBCLCs in Newark and, indeed, everywhere in the US volunteered their time to set up free breastfeeding clinics for all mothers? I guess it would be a grassroots type of way to undermine Nestle's agenda and their sub-par "breastfeeding education". Maybe even set it up as a peer to peer type of thing with talks/advice/referrals given for those mothers who really are having problems, not the supposed easy to fix problems that get blown out of proportion by those who aren't educated. (like cluster feeding being mistaken for low milk supply as an example.) Just a thought. But I truly believe if mothers, especially mothers with very low income knew just what the benefits of breastfeeding are, and how much money it saves them in the long run, it might just turn the tide and help more mothers have a long and fulfilling
 breastfeeding relationship with their babies.
Love and Light,

Denise Hibben
AAMI Student Midwife #2113
Traditional Birth Attendant

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PALMETTO HEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2