From:
B & D Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:52:11 -0400
I have not been keeping up with Lactnet and read about 1 post a day... so
forgive me if this is a horse that has already been beaten to death.  It is
one of my pet peeves.....

Whenever I have a mom who tells me that her milk "never came in"--no feeling
of fullness, etc, I ask, masked in a number of other questions, if she had a
depo shot in the hospital.  The answer is almost always yes.  I have had
LOTS of problems with milk supply that I can trace to depo shots.

Some of the midwives we work with have also felt that this is a problem on
many levels.  First, it is not respectful of the mothers that we serve.  It
insinuates that they are not able to make an informed decision themselves
and we must take that decision out of their hands. ("they will not be able
to abstain from intercourse")  If a woman of whatever age is exclusively
breastfeeding, she should be informed of the risk of diminished supply and
given alternatives.  If she choses to take the shot after being given
unbiased information, then she made that choice.  But I can't tell you how
many women come in with virtually no milk, a frighteningly dehydrated baby
and tell me that no one told them that it might effect their milk supply.

We have far less trouble when the mother is given the depo shot after about
a month of successful breastfeeding.

My feeling is that she should be given unbiased information and be allowed
to make an informed decision.  (Her decision might just be that she would
LIKE to get pregnant right away.  We might not LIKE that decision, but it
should be hers to make)

Quietly stepping off my soapbox now......
No offense meant.... just my 2 cents.

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC, RLC
Morrisania WIC Program
Bronx, NY