Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:36:21 -0500
<<   I finally got more
and more uncomfortable and said, "the way woman have traditionally learned
to breastfeed is by watching other women. If you can not use the cloths here

I would appreciate it."  A few took their cover ups away.>>

I think if someone said this to me, as a new nursing mom, I would have
covered up, too. At that point of parenting, it's not altruistic, it's
self-centered, for many people.

The ladies in my group tend to cover, or be discrete/discreet (whatever the
word is!). They've all seen each other at births, and there is no shyness.
They just don't want to be in-your-face.

There's probably a lot of notice of unpleasant comments regarding
breastfeeding in public, and they don't want to attract attention. I do find
as the babies get older, the covers start to come down. It's sort of like
birth - early in birth, the sheets are up to the chin. By the time the
baby's born, most moms are buck-naked. When you get more confidence, the
baby isn't bobbing around so much, you don't feel as awkward when someone
notices your breast (many of us have the Playboy image that our breasts
should have perfect, round nipples, or no stretch marks, or blue veins...)
the covers go away. Or, maybe we just get tired of the attitude and develop
our own!

Best wishes,
Sam