From:
Jojomari818 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:59:26 -0500
Yes, this happens to me sometimes. I suppose I could wish it to happen more often - that would mean lots of mom's have lot's of milk, but alas, it happens rarely. Whenever someone seems to be in a position to potentially donate milk - even if it seems it will be after the NICU stay, I mention it and give information. Sometimes a mom will be willing to donate some of her milk, but for the one's "protective" of their freezer stash even though they are still producing quite well I have set up individual plans. Yes, use of fresh milk is best but if they feel desperate to use that frozen milk before it expires then I am not going to get nit-picky over the composition variations - I don't even bring it up. I definitely involve mom in the plan and I've made a sheet on the computer with the plan spelled out to keep at the bedside for all the staff to follow. The details of the plan I remember the most clearly involved removal of enough bottles from the freezer for two feedings each 24 hours, the rest of the feedings being fresh milk. Mom was then greatly relieved that the milk nearing it's expiration was getting used and, of course, she continued to store more milk in the freezer - but it was "newer".
We continued with this until the baby went home.
A couple of other interesting things here are; this particular baby had been born extremely prematurely and at the point of mom wanting to use her freezer stash he was nearing 6 months post delivery age - he had a trach and a G-tube and his feeding volume was around 600 ml/24 hours. This mom produced around 1,000 ml/24 hours, which I didn't really consider oversupply because her little guy was growing and still increasing his daily volume. If someone is producing > 1,000 ml/24 hours, especially if they have a prem, I may work with them on attempting to tamp down the supply a little, but not in the 1st month - i wait to see what "nature" does on it's own and if they continue with pumping.
I also have to brag, because I remember in the middle of this particular baby getting his trach & G-tube, telling mom I was looking forward to finally helping her put the baby to breast soon and she laughed at me and said 'I gave up on the idea of that happening a long time ago' - well this baby did get to the breast and he liked it and he breastfed often in the weeks leading up to his discharge  : )

Jodie Drum RN, IBCLC
at work in Washington DC, where breastfeeding is a bit out of style this week - but that means I get to catch up and post on Lactnet  : )