From:
"Karen Gromada, MSN, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:47:29 +0000
<< Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:08:42 -0500
From: Kersula Family <[log in to unmask]>

I agree with Nikki - getting BFAR (and PCOS and moms with those funky off
kilter breasts and ....) moms off to the same good start as others is the
right beginning. And I have found that if I acknowledge that there may be a
challenge, moms respond well: "We can't say for sure what will happen -- but
we will help you and we will make sure your baby gets fed. And your baby
will get something good - then we'll figure out what else we might need to
do."
That opens the door to more peace with whatever happens, moms don't become
as concerned about baby getting "nothing" while we're waiting for the milk
to come in, and if we need to supplement, they can see it as just a part of
what they need to do to breastfeed.
Dawn Kersula >>

I think GI bypass may be one of those situations we can add to the above list. Some may find production affected and others may not. Lots of factors may play into it for an individual mother. For those for whom production is affected, there may be a need to know there is literature supporting partial breastfeeding as having a worthwhile immunological effect for their babies -- and, of course, the BF relationship is intact.

Karen