From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:25:38 -0400
This is such a sensitive topic!

My first inclination, if a mom just called and asked "how do I wean the
baby" - is to ask my "13 questions" - trying to get a "feel" for what her
reasoning is.  Usually this question has to do with improper information,
social pressure, MD pressure (she's pregnant, she's tired, she's got too
much to handle).

In addition, I know most women have been able to wean just fine without an
LC's help - so I assume she's calling me to get help breastfeeding, not
weaning!

However, there are times when the decision, for whatever reason, is made
and she needs help - her baby is 3 months, 6 months, 18 months, 24 months.
The weaning process is different with each age/stage, the foods to replace
the breast milk is different, the "mother contact" still needs to continue,
and I assume an LC is the right person to assist.  I then provide the
information and support - not because she needs my "permission" to wean -
but because she needs my expertise to wean in the most positive way
possible.

I will never forget the mom who had to take radioactive treatment for her
thyroid (2 year old)  - or the mother who wanted to wean her 3 month old
because she was overwhelmed with work/pumping/etc.  Both got the correct
information - and the support for their decision.

This is one of the reasons that we are IBCLCs - I'm always concerned when
those who have only worked with moms and babies in the hospital assume they
can be IBCLCs - there's so much more to Lactation than the initiation!

Jeanette Panchula, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA