From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 13:16:37 +0800
Melissa wrote:
>She had been given nipple shields by somebody. They were useless (something
>other than the clear Medela variety. She was using a NUK nipple on the
>bottle and discovered that she could use that on her nipples as a shield and
>it would work some. She had also been given an SNS but I couldn't see the
>point in adding that to what she was doing since he wouldn't latch on to
>begin with and her milk supply is fine--too good, if anything.

I would think this a case for trying a nipple shield - only a decent one,
such as Medela, Cannon Avent or Tommee Tippee Pur (not sure if you get all
of these in US??). The first two look identical to me, with the Avent being
about half the price of the Medela! The Pur is often a good bet when baby
bottle feeds well, but the Avent tends to encourage wider gape where this
is necessary. Bit of trial and error.

If the alternative is express and bottle feed, I would certainly try a
shield. Mum just has to make sure baby attaches to it properly and doesn't
try to 'bottle suck' it. You can then work on weaning baby off the shield.

Melissa also said:
> She leaks and has a strong letdown that frustrates the baby.

One advantage of shields (yes, there are some) is if mum's let-down is very
fast, the shield tends to slow the flow a little, and allows baby to cope
with it better.
Good luck.

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia