From:
Christopher Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 19:16:24 -0400
I hope no one minds me jumping in here with my opinion...even though I am
but a CLC and not an IBCLC (yet).

I am in favor of this credential for the way spelled out in the press
release...working under an IBCLC.  In my situation, I work with an IBCLC and
am there really to back her up with the "normal" cases (even though I have
been trained for the more intense cases and have assisted in those as well).
This takes the stress off my mentor so she is able to provide the intense
attention to those that are needing it.  I work directly under her,
reporting often as to the status of the cases I am handling.  The moment a
case turns more intense, I call my mentor and she takes the case (and I
shadow her on visit, etc.).  In addition, I make it VERY clear to the
clients and staff on maternity floor that I am a CLC and not an IBCLC.

I would think hospitals having both a CLC and IBCLCs on staff would be such
a help to nursing moms/babies.  I can't imagine why this would be
detrimental to the profession.  Again, if it is applied as the press release
suggests...so the CLC (or whatever the credentials would be) would just be
an extension of that IBCLC not in replacement of.

I am in no way advocating that a CLC, etc. hang out a shingle or go it
alone.  But, it seems like this credential would be similar to nurses...RN,
LPN, CNA, etc.  Maybe a better analogy might be an OB/GYN and nurse
midwives?  We are all providing care...its a team effort.  The main goal
being supporting the nursing family.

Thanks for letting me share.
Colette L. Baran, CLC

Lilypie Baby Days