From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:10:00 -0700
Kathy,

I have a few thoughts about the mother with the extremely low milk
supply.  It sounds like her milk production is more like an induced
supply by someone who has not given birth.  I don't know why this would
be, but maybe some of what helps adoptive mothers would be of help to
her too.

In many cases, my own included, the amount of milk that can be pumped is
not an accurate measure of how much is actually being produced.  The
mother may only be able to pump drops, but can tell by by estimating her
baby's caloric needs that he is getting ounces of breastmilk.

One thing that might help is the Lact-Aid.  I have seen babies who would
refuse the breast with the SNS tube take right to the Lact-Aid tube.
The Lact-Aid tubes look the same, but they actually have a different
texture than the SNS tubes, which apparently makes them less noticable
to the baby.  The Lact-Aid is also much easier to use without tape,
which the baby may not like the feel of either.  In addition, the
Lact-Aid is much easier to use for the mother, and can be worn very
discretely.

If this mother is highly motivated to nurse, I suggest she get the
Lact-Aid and start nursing with it on a regular basis.  If the baby does
not take to it immediately, she needs to be patient and creative and try
to find ways of coaxing him.

I would also encourage her to try fenugreek or marshmallow tea and maybe
even some metoclopramide.

I don't have the number for Lact-Aid International right here, but they
do have a website now, which you can probably find.  If not, let me know
and I will look it up.

Aloha,
Darillyn Starr